polo village mt pleasant Family displaced by fire seeks fresh start
Members of a family of four are living in a Kingston hotel with their three cats, two ferrets and a dog after smoke and water damage from a fire in a neighbouring duplex in the early morning hours Saturday made their home unlivable.
Meagan Maxam, 28, her daughter, Harmony, 9, her mother, Jackie, 56, and brother Josh, 25, all lived in the duplex at 4241 Bath Rd. A 35 year old Kingston man was arrested Monday on charges of deliberately setting fire to the duplex at 4243 Bath Rd.
When emergency responders arrived at the fire, a male was seen fleeing the scene as Kingston Police assisted in evacuating the Maxams and their pets in the other unit of the duplex.
No one was injured in the fire.
In an interview Tuesday, Meagan Maxam said all of the pets except one cat were removed safely.
mom and brother went immediately for the cats. I went for the ferrets. of the two dogs is staying with friends while Autumn, an English great dane, is living in the hotel room with the family and the other pets.
They went back to the scene Monday and found the cat in the unit uninjured but a little stressed.
was pretty happy when we picked him up yesterday, Maxam said.
Harmony wasn home at the time of the fire as she was staying at her father house.
Maxam said that in the early morning hours Saturday she was woken up by a migrane and noise coming from the next unit from a couple apparently involved in a domestic dispute.
Maxam sleeps in the basement of the home she rents with her mother and brother.
went upstairs to see what all the commotion was and to see if I could find some Tylenol. mother and brother were awake and heard the fighting as well.
Maxam said the neighbours moved into the next unit more than a week ago.
She said the dispute went on for about 15 minutes until they heard loud knocks on their front door.
came pounding on the door. It was the gentleman of the house and he was asking my mom to call the cops. were called and spoke to the neighbours. Maxam could hear them talking quietly outside.
Maxam said that immediately after police left, they could hear more smashing and banging, which went on for another 10 minutes.
someone is pounding on the door again saying the house is on fire, Maxam said.
The police who originally responded to the dispute were only a few kilometres away when they heard the fire call and turned around. Those officers helped the family escape the fire, she said.
But since the fire, the Maxams have run into some problems.
They don have renters insurance to cover the contents of the home and can get their landlord to commit to paying the cost of them living in the hotel through his insurance.
landlord doesn seem to be in a rush to get his insurance going to help cover our accommodations at the hotel, Meagan Maxam said. just paying out of pocket and here we are.
a lot of smoke damage and water damage, she said of their home. majority of the water damage was in the basement because it flooded.
lost some clothes, the clothes I was able to save are kind of smoky. family has lived in the duplex for the past 18 months. They pay $1,400 per month plus utilities for the three bedroom unit.
Since being displaced, the family has looked for some financial assistance from various organizations but hasn had much luck.