cheap polo shirts wholesale Overnight fire causes significant damage to College Gate Elementary School
“Kind of the most tragic part of something like this is more difficult to replace is the more personal stuff, work the students have made. Those have to go away (because of) the moisture damage and the smoke damage,” Holland said.
The fire was contained to Heather Helgeson’s fourth grade classroom.
“I am devastated for my kids more than anything because this is a home away from home for a lot of them and when someone comes in a breaks your stuff you feel violated,” Helgeson said.
Helgeson said, several hundred books are destroyed. “Even the ones that don’t look damaged, I’m afraid will be so smoked damaged. I don’t know how much we are going to be able to do,
” Helgeson said.
Many of the students’ gym shoes and snow boots were destroyed, along with more than ten years of teaching supplies she has collected.
One of the most devastating items lost to the fire includes the class set of Kindle e readers, a recent addition for students.
“They were so excited we had just gotten them all set up they were ready to go and we were going to start using them next week and now I don’t know what we are going to do,” she said.
Catherine Esary, a public affairs spokesperson with the Anchorage School District, says the school will be ready to open on Jan. 8 when students return from winter break.